Saturday, March 6, 2010

Response to Nancie Atwell’s The Reading Zone Chapter 8

Girls are made from sugar and spice and everything nice while boys are made from snakes and snails and puppy tails. This chapter is so funny! Atwell claims her boys do not fit the stereotypical reader. I was reading on page 95 and could think of at least one specific story about a male student for all of the generalizations given. Of course, not all boys fit the generalizations but it sure was funny to make all of those connections! I cannot believe I’m admitting this, but I actually banned one of my boys from checking out any more of the Ripley’s Believe it or Not and The Guinness Book of Records. Isn’t that horrible?!?!?!? I just saw that he was just looking at the gross pictures and reading nothing for a whole semester. That being said, we were able to find him some nice books that connected to his interest in music and (gasp) girls (they have some pictures too :)).
I have noticed that book talks seem to have engaged boys more, in their reading. Maybe this is bringing out a practical purpose for them? I’ve also noticed that since we’ve been using a “Books I Love” poster that we share on, boys seem more engaged, participants in supporting activities to the reading we do in the classroom. I’m not quite sure what the reason is, but it’s nice to see that they want to share now and borrow ideas from one another.

No comments:

Post a Comment