Tuesday, March 9, 2010

One-to-One

I like the letter-essay idea. Nancie gives the expectations (in her invitation), and then models (planning page). Kids are provided examples (openers), and continue to see her modeling critical thinking as she responds to their letters. Requiring them every three weeks seems like a reasonable request, but I think it might be difficult to write back to every student that often. Are any of you requiring students to write letters? If so, do you write back and how often? I’m glad I’m not the only one who had to “learn how to chat”, as she says. I used to think that I had to record everything we talked about every time we talked, but the records seemed pointless until I understood the purpose in conferencing (well, that and a lot of practice). We constantly have those informal conferences (as they walk in the door or we pass them in the hallways), but there is great value in having deeper conversations that help us assess learning, track growth, and set goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment