Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Response to Nancie Atwell’s The Reading Zone Chapter 6

Oh my goodness, my students LOVE booktalks! I have students that ask to do book talks that I can’t get to participate otherwise; it really is great! I believe that doing booktalks has also given my students incentive for reading because they like sharing. We have also accomplished this through literature circles, where they give mini-booktalks as well as prompted sharing.
I have started keeping new titles for our classroom library back so that I can ask specific students (tricking students just a bit, into reading something different, more at their ability level,…) to read the book so he/she can give a booktalk on it for their class. I have yet to find a student that does not just eat that up. I have students that have been nothing but…challenging and unmotivated with everything, that cannot wait to read so they can share. It sweetens the pot even more when a student is sharing and, unprovoked, refers to their book and glances at (their post it where they made a connection) to remind them of a great part of the book. Ahhh, the "sin" of applying reading strategies helpful in booktalks. J Booktalks, the best thing since…sliced bread!

No comments:

Post a Comment