Sunday, February 7, 2010

Chapter 4 response

I highlighted chapter 4 as I was reading through it. The essential idea in this chapter is choice for our young readers. I agree with Atwell in this area. I do believe this is important. I believe we are headed in the right direction in trying to create our classroom libraries...thanks Kelly!! I would like to think that by the time we are finished - we will have the recommended 20 (or more) books for each student.
I also like how Atwell used the reading inventory at the beginning of the year. I have used something similar - but maybe not as effectively. I will keep this in mind for next year.
I also highlighted the part where Atwell made the comment that she, "suffers enough English-teacher guilt about the perfect, impossible job I should be doing." I can relate 100% with this statement. There never seems to be enough time to do all that we are asked to do...so I am going to try to do what she suggests and let the kids suggest books through book talks. I think it's a great idea to allow the students to have such an impact on the classroom discussion of books. Let's face it - they are always wanting a say in how things work in the classroom - here is one way that we can allow them to help!!
One last part I want to comment on is from the last part of chapter 4. Atwell states, "students should read for the joy of reading." Wow...isn't this what we have all been saying?!?! Giving students an "assignment" each time they are reading their independent reading books is not just letting them read for the joy of reading...at least I don't think so!

No comments:

Post a Comment