I will echo what Jamie said about keeping the "mini-lesson" to 5 - 15 minutes. I can't seem to do that at all. I have good intentions going in to the lesson to do that but it seems like things that I am teaching as a mini-lesson, that I expect the kids to know, they don't or just don't remember. So the lesson takes longer - because it's like I am teaching a new concept.
I like the idea of setting up the expectations for reading list at the beginning of the year. I think this way the students are involved with the rules/expectations and take ownership in that and they are posted and clear from the get-go.
I also like the rules for reading workshop list. I actually did a list with the kids this year for expectations while they were in "the zone." They actually created the list of expectations themselves - I just scribed for them and then we posted them.
The final thing about the chapter that I like is categorizing the books into three types for the kids. Letting them know from the beginning about the "holiday," "just right," and "challenge" books. This can help them to be aware of what their book is considered. I am still struggling with some of my students to pick those "just right" books. Several of my students like the "holiday" books.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment